Unlocking the Life Within: the Key to Elder Wellness
414 258 3649
No dates scheduled at present
Based on the book by Glenn Blacklock, MS, Unlock the Life Within, this workshop explores whether people living in skilled health care environments can truly be happy. Even in the newest of buildings designed to be as close to home as possible, staff are discovering that there is still something missing. When we peel back the oppressive layers of institutional living by employing truly person-centered care, we discover doors the elders themselves may have forgotten existed. This approach to wellness focuses on abilities, and seeks to find ways to refuel the positive life force that each individual has within them.
This exciting new approach describes the potential and shares stories of how-to.
Real life examples of:
• Giving CNAs, activities aides, restorative aides and other caregivers a whole new approach to their daily work
• Relationship building - appropriate and absolutely necessary
- What stands in the way
- Exploring the research
- Understanding the needs of wellness and avenues to get there
- Person-centered care approaches that promote wellness
- What are we already doing well?
- What can we do to continue making progress?
- Who can make it happen?
- What resources are there to support our efforts?
- Final learning circle
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Know the history of culture change and how institutional environments suppress wellness
- Identify the 5 needs of wellness and the 5 avenues that get us there
- Describe successful practices others are using
- Identify person centered care approaches that promote wellness
Build the avenues of wellness. The elder’s life will change, the caregiver’s life will change - your life will change.
The National Continuing Education Review Service (NCERS) of the National Association of Boards of Examiners of Long Term Care Administrators (NAB) has approved this program for 6 participant/credit hours.
COST: $120 per person or $99 each if two or more register from the same facility
Learn more about our services
Contact LaVrene Norton
or Steve Shields